Who is required to obtain our license?

A License is required by anyone who is using or performing our music through broadcast, live performances or by communicating our copyrighted sound recordings and Audio Visual Songs (“Music”) to the public by any means.  The Music may be part of a Sound Recording (Music Cassette and Audio Compact Disc, MP3 etc.) or that of a Cinematograph Film / Video. We are the owner of copyright in the Music (including the literary and musical works embodied therein) and we are exclusively entitled to exploit the said Music, either recorded or by way of live performances.

You need a licence if you intend to communicate the Music to the public, for example by way of radio, television or the internet or if you intend to play the Music in public, for example by playing a CD at your business premises or if you intend to have a band perform the Music live. You also need a license if you wish to synchronize our copyrighted works in advertisements, radio/television programs etc.

In the specific case of a Hotel where Television sets are installed in the Rooms or Lobby or any other place of the Hotel, the Cinematograph film / Video can be / are seen by public through the said Television sets installed there. The signals for beaming the film embodying our Music may be received via Satellite or through Cable in the Hotel, the owner of the Hotel will be required to obtain our T-Series Public Performance License for Public Performance of our Music inter-alia through Television sets.

Why is a license required?

According to the provisions of the Copyright Act, 1957 (the “Act”), a copyright owner has the exclusive right to communicate to the public its copyrighted works as well as to perform the said works in public.

Any person who uses our Music without a license shall be liable for infringement of copyright.

The Act provides for both, civil as well as criminal remedies for infringement of copyright. In case of criminal infringement of copyright, which is a cognizable and non-bailable offense,    the person who is found to be guilty of the offence of infringement shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months but which may extend to three years and with fine which shall not be less than fifty thousand rupees and which may extend to two lakh rupees.

How to get a license?

For public performance of our copyrighted sound recordings within the territory of India, i.e. by playing the sound recordings in public, for example by playing a CD at your business premises or by way of playing of terrestrial & satellite radio broadcasts, television broadcasts and other broadcasts, you need to obtain the requisite license from Phonographic Performance Ltd. (“PPL”). We have exclusively authorized PPL to grant such public performance licenses in respect of our sound recordings within the territory of India.

For live performances of our copyrighted works within the territory of India, you need to obtain the requisite license from the Indian Performing Rights Society (“IPRS”). We have exclusively authorized IPRS to grant such live public performance licenses in respect of our copyrighted works.

The abovementioned public performance licenses are required for the following locations: – Banquet Halls, Cinema Halls, Theatres, Auditoriums, Clubs, Places of Live Performances, Hotels, Restaurants, Lounge Bars, Juke Boxes, Bars, Pubs, Discotheques, Night Clubs, Departmental Stores, Shops, Show Rooms, Malls, Shopping Centers, Hospitals, Public Shows, Event Organizers (performing in India or abroad), Exhibitions & Fairs, Amusement Parks, Leisure, Fitness & Entertainment Centers, Concert Venues, Aircrafts (Domestic / International), Airports, Trains, Railway Stations, Buses & Coaches, Bus Stations, Cafes, Music School, Dancing Schools, Fitness Centers, Banks, Offices, Petrol Pumps, Video Libraries, Video Parlors, Production Houses, Beauty Parlors, Hair Dressing Saloons, Factories, and all public places/premises where our Music is performed, whether live or recorded. All other kind of licenses including, without limitation, radio and television broadcasting, internet streaming and downloads, synchronization etc. are required to be obtained from us directly. For such licenses, kindly contact:

International Publishing    
Mrs. Taran Mehndi
Manager Publishing – Drecords International
E-mail : info@drecords.in